Today I’m going into more dept about applying makeup and finding the correct foundation for your skin complexion, I’ve been doing makeup for the past 5 years and I’m still learning every day! today I’m going to share my makeup tips with you also how to apply it.
What Is The Purpose Of Makeup?
Makeup reflects a mood or personality, e.g
Makeup should always suit the occasion whether it’s day or night makeup, wedding or dramatic evening makeup!
- Makeup should suit your skin tone
- Makeup should enhance your best features
- It shouldn’t change your entire face
- Good quality makeup protects the skin from the sun, loss of moisture, pollution.
Let’s face it, Makeup can give a lady enough confidence to conquer the world…
Good quality makeup is of utmost importance as it protects the skin, last longer, and give the best results. Good quality brushes will last longer also gives professional results.
The type of bristles I use and also prefer is Sable they are very high quality but a bit more expensive.
Different Brushes Are Used For Various Areas Of The Face.
- FOUNDATION BRUSH: Large, flat, oval brush. Used to apply foundation.
- POWDER BRUSH: The largest brush, It has a curved shaped and is used to powder the face.
- BLUSHER BRUSH: Slightly smaller than the powder brush but not as curved.
- EYE SHADOW BRUSH: A very fine, oval, flat tipped brush ( more than one is required)
- LIP BRUSH: Flat, tapered brush with short bristles.
- EYEBROW BRUSH: Made out of nylon, this is used to draw a new eyebrow line.
- BLENDING SPONDGE: Oval sponge used to blend foundation.
- Brushes I prefer and use!
Colour & Skin Undertones
Colour has the ability to change right in front of your eyes, It can change with the slightest adjustment in light, angle and placement. Colour is fluid and can be manipulated to create the most wondrous of illusions.
Advance and recede
Light, bright, shiny colours highlight, enhances and enlarges an area.
Dark, Matt colours reduce and make the area appear smaller.
Certain colours enhance others e.g pink makeup on a blemished skin will enhance the blemishes.
A darker blue colour around light eyes would make your eyes appear lighter, whereas a light blue colour would make the eyes appear darker.
Colours are divided into two basic colour groups.
- Any yellowish/orange undertone in skin colour
- Red, Reddish brown, strawberry blond hair
- usually lighter blue or green eyes
- Relatively fair skin colour
- Any pinkish/olive undertone in skin colour
- Blond, brown or black hair
- Blue, green or brown eyes
- Fair to very dark skin colour
Why should you use colours with correct undertones?
- It harmonizes better with the skin glow
- It diminishes imperfections and pigmentation
Basic guidelines to help you recognize skin undertones:
- Look at the back of your wrist the skin with yellow undertone will appear more beige and olive, veins cannot be seen so clearly
- Paler skin will appear blue with veins close to the surface of the skin, skin appears pinkish
Preparation Of The Skin:
- A good day Moisturizer or primer should be applied prior to makeup.
- Excess cream should be blotted to ensure the foundation does not streak or cake.
Concealers are cosmetics designed to provide extra coverage, it can be applied before or after foundation application. Concealers are available in a range of colours to suit all skins and may be mix together to obtain the required colour, concealers are specialized foundation creams or sticks containing more waxes, pigment and more opacities like titanium oxide and zink oxide.
Foundation is available in creams, liquid or cake and is composed of water, powder oil, a humectant such as glycerol, inorganic pigments which protect the skin like sunscreens and moisturizers (only good quality foundations). The oil phase is largely stearic acid which leaves the skin Matt and smooth.
Types Of Foundations
- Used for normal and dry skins
- Creamy finish
Water based/oil free
- Used for oily and combination skins
- This type of foundation sets quickly, therefore apply and blend one area at a time
Compact / Cake foundation
- Used for dry, normal or blemished skins
- Provide maximum coverage
- Used for problematic skins
- Help to balance the sebum (oil) production and clear blemished skin
- Used for allergy prone, sensitive skins
- Contains no allergy causing ingredients such as artificial colorants and fragrance
Many face powders, foundations and blushes now contain Lustre pigments such as fine mineral powders known as Mica are used to reflect light and create a pearl like effect on the skin.
The Undertone Of The Skin Determines The Colour Foundation
- Foundation is applied section for section and blended well. Do not dot foundation on various areas to begin with as this create uneven colour
- A sponge (beauty blender) or foundation brush is used and must be slightly damp
- Do not use you fingers as it’s warm and can change the colour of the skin
- Press foundation on the skin do not drag the sponge or brush as this may create lines or streaks
- Contour concealer should be slightly lighter and darker on specific areas on the face than the foundation, and should be completely Matt
- Water based is best as it tends to last longer
- Apply concealer with a concealer brush and let it set for a while before blending it in
- See picture below as it will show you where and how to contour on your specific face shape
- The best contouring and concealer I find and use is from KKW Beauty
- Powders is applied only after all foundation and contour has been applied
- Powder sets the makeup, making sure it last longer and gives it a Matt finish
- Powders is available in a loose or compact form
- When applying powder is absorbs excess oil giving a Matt finish
- Powders are also available in tinted or translucent form
- The translucent powder I find best and use!
A highlight pearly powder can be applied on the contour areas of the face to enhance your features, The highlight shimmer I use!
A blush adds warmth, colour and glow to your complexion
- Is applied on the cheek bone
- Use a blusher brush to apply
- It’s easy to blend
- Blusher is applied upwards and outwards with careful blending
- It may also be applied above the brow area to create a warm glow
- The colour of the blusher should compliment the eye shadow colour and lipstick
Identifying reasons for wearing eye makeup
- Compliment natural eye colour
- Give definition to eye area
- Enhance natural shape of eye
Because eye makeup is applied close to the eye area, it is imported that these products are:
- Non irritant
- Non toxic
- Allow easy application
- Allow easy removal
In a next article I would go into more dept on applying eye shadow correctly according to your eyes.
Mascara enhances the natural eyelashes making them appear longer, darker and thicker, it should be applied easily, smudge proof, non-toxic and non irritant.
- A bad quality waterproof mascara is bad for the eyes because it can not be removed properly and may crumble into the eyes
- Try to hold a tissue under the eyes when applying mascara to prevent smudging
- After it has dried, you can apply a second coat for a more dramatic look
Lipstick and lip liners
Lip liners are used to define the lip line and to create a perfectly symmetrical outline, it also helps to prevent lipstick from smudging into the fine lines around the mouth. Lipsticks can improve shape and colour of the lips, they protect the lips (if it’s good quality) and bring warmth to the face it also enhances and balance the makeup
Lipsticks may also be créme or Matt, pearly or frosted, some have UV protection and added moisturizer for dry lips.
- Apply lipstick with a lipstick brush
- Press with a tissue and apply very little powder ( translucent powder) then apply second coat for longer lasting.
- Lipsticks I prefer and use!
In my next article I will explain more about day, evening, bridal and dramatic makeup application, I hoped you enjoyed my article and that I could teach you concepts on apply the correct makeup. For more information contact me on Claudia@beautyhealth101.com Thank you for your time.